I am a relationship therapist specializing in individual, couples, family and sex therapy, and maintain a private practice in Ottawa West (Kanata). In this section you can learn a little about me, my training, and my research.
I hold a Bachelor degree in Psychology from the University of Ottawa, and a Master of Science degree in Couple and Family Therapy from the University of Guelph. The University of Guelph Couple and Family Therapy Training Program is a specialized therapy training degree that is one of two university-based Master's Programs in Canada. I also have had additional training to be able to specialize in Sex Therapy. I strongly believe in continuing education and regularly seek out additional training through conferences and workshops.
I strive to continue my education through all means available to me. Often I will seek out additional training through regular perusal of academic journals, conducting my own research, and attending workshops and conferences. Some of the notable workshops that have informed some of my clinical work are listed below:
- Elliot Connie - Solution Building Couples Therapy
- Jill Freedman - Listening, witnessing and intimate relationships: Using narrative therapy in working with couples
- Michael Stone - Living an intimate life: exploring the existential dimension in clinical work
- Barry McCarthy - Rekindling Desire: assessment, treatment and relapse prevention of sexual dysfunction
- Esther Perel - Attachment, Intimacy and Sexuality in Individual and Couples Therapy
- Lalita Salins - Sandtray-Worldplay: An Introduction
- Bruce Perry – Neurobiology and the Traumatized Child
- Collaborative Problem Solving Training - Tier I and Tier II intensive training
- The Winds of Change Narrative Conference
- Liana Lowenstein - Creative interventions with children who have experienced sexual abuse
- Best Practices in Treating Youth with Substance Use Problems
- High On Life Challenge Training – Certified group leader
- Child and Adolescent Functional Assessment Scale (CAFAS) Training
- Integrating attachment and Narrative Approaches in the Trauma Healing Process
- Gottman Couples Therapy Level 1: A Research Based Approach
- Families Facing Addiction Workshop
- Kaethe Weingarten: Fostering Resilience in our Clients and Ourselves
- Dan Hughes: Building the Bonds of Attachment
- Intensive Sex Therapy training and Sex Attitude Reassessment
- ASIST Suicide Intervention Training
I am affiliated with a number of professional associations. I am a Registered Psychotherapist with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (registration number: 0001588) and a Registered Marriage and Family Therapist with the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) and the Ontario Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (OAMFT) (registration number: 121687).
I have been elected as a Member-at-large to the Board of Directors of the Ontario Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. My position commenced Jan 2017 and continues until December 2019.
Please refer to their website at www.aamft.org for more information on the code of ethics I follow.
Presentations and Research Contributions
Kleinplatz, P.J., Ménard, A.D., & Lawless, S. (2012). Lessons about optimal sexual experiences from remarkable lovers. In A. C. Michalos (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Quality of Life Research. New York: Springer (in press).
When I am not providing therapy, I enjoy reading, dancing, and spending time with family and friends.